The Benevolent Protective Order of Elks (B. P. O. E.), one of the many fraternal organizations in the United States, was originally a drinking club called the Jolly Corks founded in 1866 by a group of actors, who evidently liked to drink. The club members made the fateful decision to change their organization’s name and increase their mission from frolic to public service.
Like many fraternal orders have sections of cemeteries set aside for their members, while some even have separate cemeteries. The Valhalla Memorial Gardens in Bloomington, Indiana, has a special section dedicated to the members of The Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.
The section in the Valhalla Memorial Garden is designated by a large limestone block that includes the two most significant symbols for the Elks Club members. The Elk, of course, is carved on one side of the block. On the other side is the clock with the hands frozen at the 11:00 o’clock hour when the Elks traditionally remember their members who have passed away with a solemn toast.