The metal marker above marks the grave of a member of the Daughters of America, a fraternal order founded in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, in 1891 as the auxillary organization of the Jr. Order of United American Mechanics.
The eagle and the stars above the shield represent patriotism, the open Bible in the shield symbolizes religion. Below the Bible are clasping hands, representing the unity of membership.
The Daughters of America organization was founded as part of the anti-immigrant movement in the later part of the 19th Century. The organization admits white males and females of good moral character. Following are the main tennets of the order:
Resist unrestricted immigration
Help Americans find employment
Encourage the growth of American businesses
Support Bible reading in public schools
Oppose sectarian influences in state and national governmental affairs
Promote the Jr. Order of United American Mechanics
Provide funds to support orphans of deceased DOA members
Provide funds for the aged and infirmed members of the organization