(November 8, 1841-September 20, 1910)
The Charles Feltman Mausoleum in the Green-Wood Cemetery at Brooklyn is a neo-classical temple honoring the man many consider to be the creator of the American hot dog. Feltman, a German immigrant, started out as a pie man, selling his wares from a cart at Coney Island. His pies did not sell well, so he switched to a boyhood favorite of his—a sausage that he wrapped in a bun and sold with mustard and sauerkraut.
Two large urns flank the steps leading to the mausoleum. The columns feature Corinthian capitals. On each side of the doorway is a trio of mourning figures—the left side holding symbols of faith such as the cross and the dove—the right side showing their grief and sorrow. The pediment features two winged cherubs holding a wreath with the initial “F” in the center. The temple is topped with a cupola with the Archangel Michael standing guard.
Feltman’s most famous contribution to American culinary delights actually came from his protégé Nathan Handwerker, who left the employ of Feltman to start his own hog dog business—Nathan’s, meat-in-a-tube’s most famous creator!